Monday, April 12, 2010

Birthday 2009

This past summer, I got to celebrate my birthday in a foreign land.

There's something to be said for experiencing something new on your birthday. Every year, we commemorate our genesis on this Earth, and shoot, why do it in the same way, with the same people, and in the same place?

Sure, it was hard to be away from family and friends on that day. But why not use that day as an opportunity to make new friends?

Take this moto driver I met that day:



This guy had no idea it was my birthday. I actually tried to explain it to him as I got on the moto, but I soon realized that wasn't gonna happen. He knew like 3 words in English, and I only knew this song in Swahili -- the only two vocal languages we "shared." But he loved it. And I did, too.

My point is this:

We're only here for so long. Get out of your comfort zone. Meet some new people. Travel to a distant land. Find out how much you have in common. Do something crazy. Take a moto taxi.

Hakuna matata, right?