Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I've written about this before

I visited the Kigali Memorial Center again today, and was reminded of the things that we humans do to each other.

I tried to look at each skull in the exhibition individually; as a different person, with a different life. I looked at the pictures of the victims, donated generously by their families, and thought what it would be like to see a brother up there, or an uncle, or a friend.

As I sit in the beautiful gardens surrounding the center, I can’t help but notice that the flowers that bloom here now bloomed before and during the atrocities, as they have forever.

Moving forward
Never stopping
Always progressing

Humans may be the only creatures that continuously digress; that seem hindered by their own perceived nature.

“Never again.”

After the Holocaust, who would have ever said, “I’ll occasionally stand by and let this nightmare happen again”?

But we have…
And we do…

As long as people suffer and we strengthen divisions among us, whatever they may be, the word “never” will remain weak, its weakness symbolizing our inability to progress.

In order for us to move forward, at some point, we’ll have to make that step.

One year ago, I sat in this same place and wrote, “Let us return strength to the phrase ‘Never Again.’”

Maybe someday I won’t have to.

No comments: